Thursday, October 7, 2010

Our Uganda Friday: October 8th 2010

by Darlyne Komukama

I'll start by saying I'm very excited to be a part of the Awava team (big tings a gwan). That said, it has been an interesting week in Kampala. Starting with a very different kind of comedy show.













On Thursday night, we were graced with the prescence of comedy writer and performer Jane Busssman who was presenting her award-winning comedy show 'Bussman's Holiday' at the Red Chilli which is where she stayed the first time she was in Uganda. I have to say, I had trepidations going into this show, I was worried she would offend my Ugandan sensibilities but I was wrong because she was hilarious! Seriously, anyone who implores not to confuse Joseph Kony with Dave Chapelle dressed as Rick James is o.k in my books.

Kampala Amateur Dramatic Society (KADS) organised an very exciting murder mystery event that is taking place this weekend. I went on Thursday and again I didn't know exactly what to expect. I was exhausted after a day of fabric shopping for Awava so I was not prepared to do too much other than eat my dinner and figure out the crime. The whole evening was very well executed, the actors were very good, the food was excellent and our brains sure were exercised trying to piece together all the clues and figure out whoddunit. If you're in Kampala this weekend, you should go check it out, totally worth the 35k.

We at Awava wish you all a very happy Independence day tomorrow.

No comments: