Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Bombings in Kampala, Uganda

by Kate von Achen

Hello everyone. By now you have all heard of the heinous terrorist attacks carried out by al-Shabab, a Somali terrorist organization, on Sunday, 11 July 2010 here in Kampala during the World Cup final at two popular viewing spots. We are beyond thankful to report that ALL of the Awava team is safe and unharmed, and all of Awava's friends are also alright. We consider ourselves very lucky and we are deeply mourning the lives lost that day.

Security is quite tight around the city and caution is high. Another bomb was found in another area of town yesterday and thankfully was defused by police. Rumors of additional explosions have been circulating which is incredibly frustrating because all of us are already quite paranoid but there's little to be done to stop that.

It is a sad, sad time for a country that I have been in love with since 2006 and this feeling of insecurity is an experience I have never felt here. This place has been my home for three years and held my heart for four and seeing such hatred turned on a place that I love so much has totally discombobulated me. I am confident that this too shall pass and I and the Awava team deeply appreciate all of the love and support we have been receiving from the US.

No comments: